Tuesday, 19 June 2012

TUSAL & IHSW: a finish and a new HAED start

Once again this month TUSAL and IHSW collided, but this time another very important event added itself to the jumble mix: my baby turned 2 years old today! Happy birthday Noah, you are and always will be the light of my life!

My TUSAL jar this month has quite a diversity of colors in it with lots of metallics from Lily of the Valley, Red Dragon bookmark, and gridding.

Speaking of Red Dragon: this is the ''secret'' project I was working on for hubby's father day. He loves dragons and his favorite colors are red and silver, so I combined it all in Dracolair's Red Dragon Bookmark. I stitched it as charted, except that I backstitched the whole design with Kreinik instead of DMC in order to incorporate the silver. It came out pretty good but very hard to photograph...
On a side note, never again will I stitch something from Dracolair if all their patterns are like that. Out of all the symbols used, every single one but one was a blend of two colors (one of the reasons why I won't stitch TWs), which I could have coped with for such a small design, but the worse part is that most of the chart was fractional stitches, in quite a few cases a single cross would be comprised of 4 quarter stitches in 4 different blends. Enough to drive somebody bonkers and IMHO unnecessary...
There it is in all its blended, fractional, blinged out glory:



Hubby's verdict: ''it's nice, but it's kinda hard to see what it is''. *sigh*

Anyway, once I finished it, I moved on to gridding in preparation for a new HAED that I have been itching to start, Dragonflies Whisper by Ching-Chou Kuik. I've been wanting to try tenting in order to speed up my stitching and hopefully manage to make a dent in my HAED wish list in this lifetime, so this project is the first one. I did some tests and it looks like 2 over 1 tent on 28 count would provide the coverage I like (I hate when the fabric shows through), but of course I didn't have a piece of 28ct big enough.
Patience is not my strong point when it comes to stitchy stash and I couldn't wait until receiving some fabric in the mail so this one is 25ct 3 over 1 tent.


Ireland is a needleworker's nightmare when it comes to stash :(

Happy stitching!
Maud

5 comments:

Marcy said...

Oh dear -- did you give him a quick kick in the shins?

Your dragon looks great but like you, I'm not a big fan of all that blending.

Bea said...

I really like your bookmark, but blending and lots of fractionals would drive me crazy too. Great start on your HAED!

Mii said...

A bit curious: what is this TUSAL jar???

Mii said...

Thanks for the info.
I have now joined the TUSAL & have started my own ORT jar!!!
Mii
x

chen wish said...

nfl mlb nba nhl snapbacks
air max 90
air max 2017
free flyknit 5.0
yeezy 350 boost
yeezy 350v2 boost
lunarglide shoes
kobe bryant shoes
jordan james shoes
mercurial soccer boots